Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do with a Child and Family Studies major?

Great question! There are so many options! Click here to see a list of careers that our CFS graduates have attained.

What are the different program tracks in the Child and Family Studies major?

Community Outreach

The Community Outreach track is designed for students whose educational and career goals are focused on studying and working with children and families within educational programs, community services, and other professional settings. Please follow the above link for detailed information, requirements for completion, declaration of the major, and additional considerations.

Teacher Licensure

The teacher licensure options are designed for students interested in teaching young children and obtaining a State of Tennessee license to teach at either the PreK–K or PreK–3 level. Obtaining licensure at either level is contingent upon admission to the respective teacher licensure program. Please follow the links above for detailed information on each track, progression and licensure requirements, declaration of the major, and additional considerations.

Can I get a Child and Family Studies Minor?

Yes! Use the following link to obtain information about a CFS minor.

How do I apply to UT?

In order to apply, you first need to create a Vol-In-Progress (VIP) account through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Creating an account is free and easy. Through your VIP account, you can schedule a campus tour, register to attend special events, receive important updates, and apply online. You can create the account at​.​

When do I need to apply?

For incoming freshmen, you will be able to apply starting on August 1st of your senior year. In order to be eligible for priority admission and competitive scholarships, you must apply by November 1st. The regular application deadline is December 1st.

How do I apply for scholarships?

If you apply by November 1st, you will be sent a competitive scholarship application from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. That scholarship application will be used by several departments and offices, including our college. You do not need to worry about applying for specific scholarships through our college.

Who can I ask questions about financial aid and tuition?

The University of Tennessee has created One Stop Express Student Services. It is your source for answer on financial aid, student accounts, registration, and records. You can contact them through their website at, by phone at 865-974-1111, or by email

When will I meet with an advisor?

After you have been accepted and confirmed enrollment you will be invited to register for an Orientation Session. At orientation, you will meet other incoming students, learn more about UT, and meet with an advisor to help you make a schedule.

Undergraduate Contacts

Interim Department Head and Professor
Spencer Olmstead, PhD

Undergraduate Chair
Heidi Stolz, PhD

Admin. Program Specialist
Rachel Heston