CFS Student Spotlight: Dante Carrillo

Dante Carrillo

Major: Child & Family Studies-Community Outreach

Hometown:

Knoxville, Tn

Anticipated Graduation Date:

Fall 2019

Favorite UT activity:

Dante C

Photo Credit: Devon Adrianne Photography

Dancing for BOSS Dance Company

Favorite Quote:

“You are unique, and if that is not fulfilled, then something has been lost.”  -Martha Graham

How does a Child and Family Studies degree fit into your life’s plans?

As a dance teacher and student, I work with kids of all ages. Being able to incorporate my degree into my dance career would be a great reinforcement. Other than dance, I would love to be able to work part with health services with children in the L.A. area.

What have you learned from other students?

I have learned that Child Family Studies is a great major, and to be able to see other students that love it and being able to vibe off of that passion for the major is something that I never experienced while I was in my previous major.

Who is your favorite professor or staff member at UTK so far and why?

Professor Anderson is an amazing CFS teacher. She was easy to understand and relate too. I loved her overall enthusiasm about Marriage and Relationships. She was very understanding that we were college students and didn’t want to overwhelm us with assignments, instead she spaced everything out accordingly. She also made the class very enjoyable by incorporating Aziz Ansari’s “Modern Romance” book.

Dante C

What has been your greatest challenge?

MY greatest challenge is trying to complete all my CFS classes on time. I switched majors after my sophomore year, so trying to catch up has been a little bit of a struggle.

What have you learned (or are learning) that’s made a difference to you?

I have learned how to better handle and understand younger children who may or may not be getting the attention they need at home. I have also learned how to hold up and keep healthy relationships with my friends, family, and significant others.

What are you most thankful for from your time as a CFS student, so far?

I’m thankful for teachers who are understanding of their students. They take into account what we are going through as college students and they adapt their class to make it easier to follow but packed full of information.

What advice do you have for incoming students?

I would say to keep a positive and open mind about the major and to enjoy every class! There is always something you can take away from each day you spend in your CFS classes. There are so many interesting things you can learn and the best part about the major is that there are several careers and pathways you can choose from.