Lenoir City Schools; District Preschool Program Director 2002 - present
Lenoir City Schools; Classroom Teacher 1998 - present
Knox County Schools; Classroom Teacher 1996 - 1998 • University of Tennessee; Child Care Specialist 1995 – 1996
Ed. S. Educational Leadership; 2017 University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
M. A. Early Childhood Education; 2014 East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee
B. S. Early Childhood Development, Pre K – 3rd grade Licensure; 1994 Cum Laude East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee
Awards and Recognitions
- 2016 Little Tennessee Valley Teacher of the Year
- 2016 Teaching Young Children December/January Feature Teacher
- 2014 Outstanding Graduate Student, ETSU Department of Teaching and Learning
- 2011 Lenoir City Schools Elementary Teacher of the Year
- Hobbs, M. (2019). You did what...AGAIN? A look at guidance and discipline in our classrooms. Early Learning Institute, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Hobbs, M., Nesseen, S., & Fitzgerald, M.K. (2018) Pretend play: Growing children’s minds. https://elc.utk.edu/2018/07/11/pretend-play-growing-childrens-minds/
- Hobbs, M., Nesseen, S., & Fitzgerald, M.K. Pretend play: A deep study into supporting children’s thinking; 2018 East Tennessee State University Early Childhood Conference, Johnson City, TN
- Hobbs, M., Nesseen, S., & Fitzgerald, M.K. Supporting oral language development and literacy learning through the project approach:; 2018 Southern Early Childhood Association Regional Conference, Lexington Kentucky
- Hobbs, M., Nesseen, S., & Fitzgerald, M.K. Building oral language through shared reading and flexible curriculum; 2017 East Tennessee State University Early Childhood Conference, Johnson City, TN
- Hobbs, M. & Fitzgerald, M.K. Intentional storytimes in the preschool classroom; 2016 East Tennessee State University Early Childhood Conference, Johnson City, TN
- Hobbs, M. & Stovall, R. (2015). Supporting mentors of preservice early childhood education teachers: A literature review. The Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 36, 90 – 99. http://dx.doi/ 10.1080/1091027.2015.100524.
- Hobbs, M. Writing across the preschool year and Using names to foster emergent literacy; 2014 & 2015 East Tennessee State Early Childhood Conference, Johnson City, TN Melody Kay Hobbs Page 2
- Caudle, L., Moran, M.J. & Hobbs, M. (2014). The potential of communities of practice as contexts for the development of agentic teacher leaders: A three-year narrative of one early childhood teacher’s journey. Action in Teacher Education, 36 (1), 45-60. http://dx.doi/10.1080/01626620.2013.850124
- Hobbs, M. Using the Revised TNELDS; 2014 East Tennessee State University Early Childhood Preconference, Johnson City, TN • Caudle, L., Bartlet, K. & Hobbs, M. Constructing Local Knowledge Through Collaboration, Consultation and Teacher Inquiry: An In-Depth Look at One School-University Partnership; 2013 NAEYC Professional Development Institute, San Diego, CA.
- Hobbs, M., Caudle, L. & Fitzgerald, M.K. The Lenoir City Schools Interactive Classroom: Designing and Supporting Developmentally Appropriate Learning Environments and Teaching Methods in Kindergarten; 2012 National Association for the Education of Young Children National Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Caudle, L., Moran, M.J. & Hobbs, M. Establishing Communities of Practice; 2011 Southern Early Childhood Association Regional Conference, Savannah, GA.
- Caudle, L. & Hobbs, M. School/University Relationships; 2010 Tennessee Association for the Education of Young Children State Conference, Chattanooga, TN