Rachel Mitchell

Student Spotlight: Rachel Mitchell with Coulter Grove Intermediate School

Tagline: “SOARing to New Heights” (Show Up, Own It, Achieve It, Reach It)

Highlight:

The highlight of my practicum experience has been getting to know the students and building relationships with them.  Throughout my practicum, I talk with students in group settings as well as one-on-one settings.  I see students not only in the guidance office but also on the playground and in the afterschool program.  By getting to know them on a personal level and not just as a teacher or supervisor, I am able to bond with the students.  The students are able to confide in me and discuss matters that are deeper than average day-to-day conflict.  I love getting to know the students more each day and seeing their personal growth.

Biggest Surprise:

What has surprised me most about the practicum is how much I realized I do not enjoy teaching.  A few days a week I teach the fourth grade guidance class.  I thought I would enjoy teaching, however, it causes more stress for me than I thought it would.  While I do enjoy the lessons and seeing the students learn, I have realized that I do not enjoy being the one in charge of the class.