Jessica Harber

Student Spotlight: Jessica Harber with Sequoyah Hills Early Enrichment Program (SHEEP)

Tagline/song lyric that sums up your practicum experience:
“Today was good, today was fun, tomorrow is another one” -Dr. Seuss. I chose this tagline because every day at SHEEP is a fun, entertaining day, and I always look forward to what is in store for us the next day.

What has been the highlight of your practicum experience:
The highlight of my experience so far would have to be when one of the girls came to school one day with a dandelion for me. She’s 2 years old, and she always wants me to read to her for most of the day. One morning she had picked a little dandelion to bring to me without her mom prompting her, and it honestly melted my heart. It was one of the sweetest and most innocent moments I have experienced with this age group, and it made realize that the children do recognize what you do for them.

What has surprised you the most about your practicum experience:
I have been really surprised with how much I genuinely enjoy working with this age group. I have always preferred to work with tweens or teenagers, so this is the first time I’ve really worked with primarily 2-4 year olds. This age group absorbs knowledge like a sponge absorbs water, and they’re extremely creative with everything they do. I love watching them interact with one another and listening to the imaginative games they’re able to create. We’re able to do so many fun activities with them, such as playing with homemade play-doh, 3D art, and dancing to get our wiggles out. Overall, this practicum experience has really opened my eyes to age groups I want to work with in the future.

-Jessica Harber